Monday, June 1, 2009

Meu escrevendo primero de meu apartmento

Bonus points to anyone who could interpret that VERY broken Portugese (and for those that couldn't: "my first writing from my apartment").
So as that suggests, I am officially in my own place now. I have a mini apartment all to myself which is nice, though I can't post from my room, as there is no wireless; only an internet room where I can take my laptop. That could get annoying, but I am getting a wireless signal here so maybe I can figure something out. The other down side of the apartment is that there is no stove, just a microwave so it looks like I will be going out some. Actually, I will probably be going for the Brasilian method of a big lunch and a light dinner since I can get food pretty cheap at on-campus restaurants for lunch. The food has been good thus far; rich, but tasty. Not a huge amount different from the US, just some different flavors.
Everything is going pretty well even if I am mentally exhausted. I have so much more respect now for any non-English speaker I have ever met in the US. It's incredibly draining to constantly have to be thinking about every word you want to say or hear. I do ok when I can get things in context, but a conversation is out of the question.
Santuza and her family took great care of me this weekend, showing me some things and introducing me to a variety of people. They also introduced me to some of the new foods: chicken hearts, gizzard, various other dishes I can't remember now (!). Both Santuza and Greg are great people. I think I will be around them a fair amount as my time here progresses, but that might change as I start to meet new people. Speaking of which, just met my neighbors...pretty sure they're gay, but hey theater majors are hard to read :)
It looks like this internship will be much less intensive on research science, and putting more of an emphasis on being exposed to a new culture. That isn't to say I won't be (and haven't been) exposed to a lot of science, just that it may be a lot more observing and talking to a bunch of people and simply exposing me to new things. For example, I have talked to a lot of Santuza's friends about their research and Greg about the differences between the hiring process for professors here versus the US. Then today I sat in on a graduate course Santuza was teaching (yes in Portuguese, actually I did better in that than you might expect because I could understand what was being talked about).
Here is a link to my first album of pictures, check back often as I haven't really put up what I have, just a few.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067824&id=15804233&l=1acdb39135

Ok this is getting long enough and my brain is drained.

Ate tarde (until later)

P.S. Oh, one more thing, for the Fulbright, I'm in the district called Sidrap. Still not exactly sure what town, but it narrows it down a little more.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that Portuguese was so broken it was almost Spanish! :P

    ReplyDelete