Tuesday, October 6, 2009

More from the pesantren

The teaching is just starting, and things are going decently, but hopefully after a while Daya and I can get more of a balance as time goes on. Teaching is especially difficult since I don't know their language (either actually, Indonesian or their traditional language). But whenever I get frustrated with them not getting it, I think about me in Spanish in high school! The other problem is the wide range of different skill levels. Some students are nearly conversationally fluent while some others seem to know very little, and they're sitting in the same class; makes lesson planning really difficult. I also meet with some of the students, especially the younger ones I don't teach, just to introduce them to a 'bule' and English speaking. Those meetings are all really easy as I am a complete and total rock star here! It’s kinda corny, but it all leaves me with a good feeling; I really do think, and can tell, that I am helping these kids. With English they’re going to be able to go much further with their lives, that is the simple case in SE Asia right now. So if I can help some of these students go to university and maybe beyond, that’s an amazing thing; it’s a really great feeling! I’ve become attached and vested in the success of my students, and to be honest, I didn’t think I would, at least not so soon, if at all.
Part of the reason I like it here is that everywhere I go people either smile (and sometimes laugh and point) or just stare, dumfounded. Sometimes I feel like I’m being led around like the giant white elephant (and I am not small here, taller than most, and certainly not skinnier than most), but in general, I enjoy it. It’s also becoming easier as I progress with the language, though that is somewhat dampened because many, if not most, of the people here speak their traditional language (Bugis) with each other, but now at least I can hear the difference.
It’s not all golden here though. Probably the most annoying thing is that the power won’t stay on. Just today I got a schedule of when it will be off; hey, at least I know now! Looking at the schedule, the power will be out for at least 6 hours during the day, every day, for the next week. Apparently there is a pretty good chance this will continue for quite some time (February maybe); I guess I’ll have to get used to it. I actually can deal with it pretty easily. The real problem is that with the power so too goes the water, and as hot and humid as it is here that is a bit of an issue, but even more, no power means no AC or even a fan, and that gets to be really bad.
The other annoyance is how hard it is to get away from here; the closest town isn’t really within walking distance (close, but with this heat…). I think it will get a bit better though once I get settled, because after that I will start doing some weekend travelling around Indo.
Until then though, I’m going to try to do as much exploring (with Imran or Yusran) around here as possible. The first example of this was this Sunday. I went fishing with Imran, Yusran, a student (Anto), and another teacher (Jeffery, or as they say here: Jufry). Let’s just say that ‘fishing’ here is not the most dynamic! Mostly it was standing around waiting for a fish to get so bored it bit a hook. Oh that, and getting sunburned! So while the fishing left a bit to be desired, the sights were fantastic! I would have liked to take more pictures, but getting there consisted of me hanging on for dear life to the back of a scooter/motorcycle as we bounced along a decrepit road. Even with that, I really enjoyed the ride, between all the stares and just getting out of the pesantren it was good. The best part was after we went across the rickety old wooden suspension bridge (I had to walk behind rather than ride). After the bridge, we were out in the middle of rice fields with palm trees all around. At one point it really looked like that stereotypical scene you see in all of the Vietnam movies! Pictures will be up eventually, so be sure to check those out.
I think that’s about it for highlights so I guess I’ll call that good for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment