Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Asking for a favor

Hey everyone. I have a post all ready and filled with tangents, but first a different topic or two.

I had a great time this weekend with a bunch of the other ETAs. We all headed up to Manado and spent some time out on a very popular tourist location called Bunaken Island; it's a well established bule tourist spot. I got a couple snorkeling trips in which was fun. The coral in the area was not the greatest (too many tourists I think), but the fish life was pretty impressive.
The majority of the weekend just went to being loud obnoxious Americans together. Coming from situations when always have to be on display a bit, it's a real release to not have to care what people think about you. The result was a lot of fun ; )

Now I'm back at the pesantren though and answering lots of questions about what happened to my nose. terlalu banyak matahari!
And the other fun little experience was getting to contribute to Indonesian corruption. On my way back on Sunday I happened to run into the police chief of the local village. Magically the next day I needed to go to the police office for some sort of registration. Before it was all said and done I was asked for Rp50,000 for 'processing'. It's only $6, but that's enough to process a whole village I think! Oh and the best part was the reason: Obama is coming to the country! Sounds like a bunch of BS to me
As for good news, I just found out today however that I don't have class during the national testing week. You know what that means...more travel! Looks like a trip to Lombok then Sumatra for Lake Toba. So I now have plans clear through the end of April. And after that we're talking days until I'm done! I'm a little excited.

But before I go I still have a project/something I want to help the pesantren with. I would like to see if there is any sort of opportunity for the pesantren to obtain some funding or exchange. I don't know exactly what this entails, but I'm doing it as a favor for Imran.
So the favor I'm referring to in the title is that all of you caring people out there keep an eye out to see if you hear about any opportunity for a furthering understanding of Islam, or helping foreign teachers, or exploring Indonesia, or just about anything that might be used by/for the pesantren.
I know this is really open ended, but maybe you'll hear of something.

Ok that's enough for now. I'll be around here a bit more

No comments:

Post a Comment