Friday, July 24, 2009

All kinds of things

Seems like a lot has happened in little more than a week so I figure this is a good time for an update.
The Good:
I passed last weekend (wow I need to get back to the US, I'm talking like a Brazilian speaking English!) in a really nice place called Caraça. I had wanted to go previously, but decided it wasn't feasible for a single person, but Santuza and family decided they would return there for the first time in many years (this week was her official holiday week for winter break); so I gladly taggeed a long with them. Not only did I get to do some hiking which improved my mood a great deal, I also had some intersting converstaions with Santuza and Greg; I enjoy talking with both of them as I get an insight into Brazilian culutre (through a transplanted American and a native Brazilian) and 'science culture'.
Caraça was originally a religious Sanctuary built in 1774, it also served as a boarding school for well off adolescent boys in the 1800's, and is now a pousada and tourist attraction/nature reserve. The area is about 1.5hrs from BH by car (though traffic made each way much longer) and is basically out in the middle of nowhere. It's a really interesting and picturesque place, checck out the offical website here (all in Portuguese, try using google translate): www.santuariodocaraca.com.br and my pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2070808&id=15804233&l=1b93282a76 .

The bad:
Doing that hike offically pushed my knee over the edge. I had some pain in the knee on Friday when I was walking to work; I didn't twist it or anything all of a sudden I just felt like someone was stabbing me in the outside of my left knee. I took some painkillers before going hiking and the knee felt fantastic on Suunday. To cut the story short, the docotor diagnosed it as over use. I do walk 2 miles to and from work everyday in crappy shoes, plus a lot of other walking during the weekends and seeing sights, so it wasn't too much of a surprise. Before that diagnosis I got to gimp around for a few days; calleed the UR insurancec company on skype to make sure they knew what was going on, and then got to be introduced to a Brazilian hospital (actually seemed nicee and more organized than most in the US, which wasn't what I had heard; the one I went to was very nice though). After some language difficulties I got everything sorted out and managed the whole proceess on my own. So now I'm on anti-inflamatories, icing as much as possible, and taking the bus everywhere I go. The knee is feeling better, but still hurts. I'm gettting old and falling apart!

More good:
I went to my first Brazilian soccer match last night, and my adpoted team won! I'm offically a 'quente pe' (hot foot) now. The atmosphere was pretty electric, but I can't say it was a lot more rowdy or crazy than a big college football game. It certainly was a fun experience though!

There have been some other happenings, but those were the big ones.

I'll write more when I get a chance,
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment