Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Official Indonesia welcome

If there was any doubt I was officially in Indonesia, it's gone now! I've gone through my first earthquake with no issues whatsoever. To be honest the quake seemed pretty minor to me. It was certainly less scary than the take off of my Singapore-Jakarta flight.
Officially the earthquake was a 7.0 and about 160km SSE of Jakarta deep below the ocean. Here in Jakarta we definitely felt the earthquake, but it didn't seem too bad at all to me; in fact I wouldn't have left my room after the shaking (which went for quite a while) if it hadn't been for all of the people out in the hall. I did end up going down the emergency stairs and waiting outside for a while with everyone. Eventually the building was declared safe and another aftershock (there was one around 5 something immediately after) was said to be very unlikely.
So all in all, the 'quake was not a big deal at all. The news I've seen seems to be a little over the top to me, though there were some people that freaked.
Just another story to add to this big adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment