Friday, January 8, 2010

Crusing the rivers of Borneo

Here are some quick notes about my trip to Kalimantan:
The trip got off to a rough start when our flight was delayed a whole day (which we didn't find out until we got to the airport in Semarang), but even that worked out ok because they put us up in a nice hotel and all the transport was comp'd. The result was I finally got a full night's sleep which was vital because I was feeling a cold coming on and it disappeared shortly after. We eventually got to Kalimantan and spent the rest of that day getting things set up to go on our river cruise. I'm sure we paid too much, but it was better than we had been expecting price wise. So we (Ashley, Nicole and I) left the next morning on our home for the next 3 days. We slept, ate, and saw lots of jungle on the boat (2m across, 15-20m long and two levels). The boat was ok, the crew was good, the food was FANTASTIC and the overall experience was extraordinary. I'd say those 3 days were my favorite things in Indo so far. We saw tons of Orangutans, some wild, but mostly rehab and even got to feed some. I have tons of pics and videos. We also saw some other birds and animals (hornbills, probiscus monkeys (including some that jumped in the water from a tree above us, impressing even the crew), gibbons, macacas, boars, killer ants, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting now), did a night trek (glow in the dark mushrooms, orangutan calls, and the fact we were hiking in the dark in freaking Borneo!), a three hour trek through the forest (eating forest fruit, seeing pitcher plants, seeing huge trees) and simply just soaked up the experience of living on the river, oh and we ended with tons of fireflies on the trees as we cruised back, it literally looked like Christmas trees; so much cooler than I expected.
I should also mention the delicious food (easily the best three days of eating I've had in Indo).
It was just nice for me to get back to nature a little bit, hiking out in the jungle felt great and really got my head back a bit. At times it did feel a little touristy, but if it had been any less so, it would have been uncomfortable and we wouldn't have seen much of anything.
After the three days on the boat, we spent new years night in Pangkalan Bun! Big timing, I know! We went to at least a dozen hotels/losmens/homeless shelters/etc before we found a place (of course the most expensive). Then we headed out to the city and just wandered around finding all kinds of trouble. Let's just say the night got a little hazy for me, but I remeber ending up at some rich guys party where we decided we were Australian. After that I ended up having to head home...let's just say the next day was painful, but it still didn't detract from an awesome experience!

1 comment: