Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rude kids and games

Not a whole lot of news from here, but I thought I would send out an update to people, and probably go off on some random tangents.
For the most part I’m just killing time here. I’ve become much more comfortable in Indo, but also much more comfortable not being a busybody (an impressive accomplishment for those that know me well). I’m also starting to think that ‘not being a busy body’ may just be a euphemism for ‘I’ve become lazy’, oh well!
Now that the power outages are at most once a day for a few hours and even that seems to be rare (though the power will still inexplicably flick off for a few minutes, though I have a sneaking suspicion that the fact that the power poles for the pesantren are pieces of bamboo not even buried in the ground MIGHT have something to do with that!), killing time has become much easier: lots of reading, watching some TV (either ESPN, Discovery, National Geo, or the occasional movie), playing games with the students (Parcheesi and chess), or going over to Imran’s to use the internet. A note on the internet, my great idea to string a cable to my room is not happening (yet). The cable I bought isn’t working and I don’t think I care enough to endure 9 hours of driving to get a new one. Nonetheless my latest internet-ing has been planning travels (gonna try for 1 flight a month for the next 4 months) or looking at grad schools. The school list is falling in line pretty nicely, and my goal is to have that all decided (i.e. where I’m going to apply, what I need to apply, etc.) before I leave (I’ve got plenty of time now, something that will be a valuable commodity until at least mid-September.
Here’s a tangent related to the games, which will lead to more tangents. First, the Parcheesi game mom sent me has been HUGELY popular. It took me a while to introduce the game, but since I have, it has been played every day. While I’m certainly happy the kids love it, it is a little annoying to have them always knocking on my door to borrow it. You may think chill out Aaron it can’t happen that much, and you’d be right, but I should also mention that some of those books people have been kind enough to send me have been used to start an English library here. Again this is FANTASTIC, the kids are using it a fair amount (even though it’s not completely finished) and I think people are excited about it (though I’m not sure how much actual reading gets done). The down side is that because the school office and library is being renovated there is only one place to keep the books: Mr. Aaron’s room. Which means that kids come knocking to read the books (again great, but I really do NEED some alone time).
Now when I say kids, I should specify, I mean middle school age boys. As I think about it, I don’t think any of the other students are brave enough. In general, the other students tend to be very shy and timid, frustratingly so when I want them to answer in class. But don’t worry, the younger boys more than make up for this. Now I know there are many cultural differences, but am I so wrong to think that there is a baseline politeness that all people know about? I think so. I’ve had several boys open the door since I didn’t get there soon enough (literally less than 30seconds), but more than that they’re just very forward/pushy.
“Mr. (notice the lack of a name), give me a book”
“Yang mana buku, anda mau?” (which book do you want)
“(giggle, giggle), [blank stare]”
“Di sini, memili sebuah buku dari daftar ini” (here, choose a book from this list)
They then barge in my room at this point and start tearing through the books until they pick one out. Usually I’m able to get them to write their name down before they take off.

As I write this I realize it’s not really that bad, but it ties in with the lack of discipline I’ve noticed in this country for younger kids. It really kind of drives me crazy. It’s not actually funny that your 7 year old still runs around the airport screaming at the top of his lungs or that your 3 year old thinks it’s ok to take a cookie, taste it (not bite it, basically just mouth it) then put it back in the communal jar. Now I know I’m not the most patient with little kids, but come on, you must discipline your kids at least a little!
Ok vent over, I feel better now. And in my defense, after talking with other ETAs, I’m not the only one who has noticed this and felt this way, and there are numerous other examples I could think of (the contstant 'bule' calls, having things thrown at me because I didn't give the kids money, demands [and I do mean DEMANDS] to see my pictures from traveling, etc). It’s really too bad because little kids here are incredibly cute and adorable (again, that’s saying something since it’s coming from me!).
Oh yeah I was supposed to be going off on a tangent about chess. Ok back to the 1st degree tangent; chess is, to me, unusually popular here. Not exactly sure how that started, but from when they’re young people, mostly men (I’ll avoid the sexism tangent for now), play chess a lot. Not much of a tangent here I guess, just an observation, and to mention that there is a 15 year old boy here that I play the most (because he’s the best) and at this point I think the record between us is about 12-2-1…I don’t have the 12. I think I must be getting better or used to him or something, but at first the kid just kicked the crap out of me.
Ok those are enough tangents for now; I may start doing this tangent posting more often. Probably depends on what people think of this one…
Hope everyone is doing well back home (official count down until I finish with my contract has started: T-minus 17 weeks)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Arron thanks for another entertaining entry. You know that it shows how comfortable with the Indo culture you have gotten if you can look at it and comment on it's faults. Although I have to tell you I think any 3 year old is going to put back food they don't like if they think they can get away with it

    ReplyDelete